[mrtg] What is the IP of generating hosts?

Jim Bennett JBennett at sevencounties.org
Mon Nov 3 19:02:43 MET 2003

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway.

What is the best/easiest way to determine the IP address of the host that is generating the traffic.

On a Cisco 4000 switch, MRTG graph labels it as "#3/6 - sw0 xxxx xx".  All the ports are label in this matter, and they go as high as "#3/48 - sw0 xxxx xx".  We have a Fluke Optiview and it labels the ports the  same.  But I have some reservation about the accuracy of locating the IP address using the Fluke.  It appears that the IP address that the Fluke has identified to that port does appeared to be the one that MRTG says the port is. I know MRTG will identify the port as an IP address of 10.10.3.1_64.  This means the 64th port on the switch.  Right???  But what physical port does that relate to on the switch?  And what is the IP address of the host generating the traffic?

Thanks for any help or insight in the matter.
Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message.
<<<<gwavasig>>>>