[mrtg] file -.ok on STDIN mrtg

bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Fri Nov 7 08:49:11 MET 2003

Hey Folks,

I checked the archives, but I didn't see anything jumping out at me as
the answer to my question.  If it's a faq, feel free to flame.

I'm running my mrtg offa cron like this:

> */5 * * * *     user    /usr/bin/mrtgprofiles | /usr/bin/mrtg -

The mrtgprofiles script just generates a valid mrtg config on the fly.
(It's actually part of a very standard RPM I use on my machines, but
that's beside the point.)

Anyway, when it executes, it of course wants to leave a happy
{config-file}.ok marker, which is normally okay, except the .ok file
chosen is actually ~user/-.ok .  Again, this is not a surprise, after
the fact, because that's the most logical location and name for the .ok
file .. but I'm surprised to see that the .ok file generation wasn't
suppressed.

I'm on 2.9.17;  is the generation of the .ok file suppressed in a newer
version in cases where the config file is stdin?

  - bish