[mrtg] FW: Problems with the absolute option

Leander Mutsaers leander at dac-planet.nl
Fri Nov 7 09:55:03 MET 2003

Dear people,

I am in need of help here, I will explain what I am trying to do and the
problem as clear as I can. MRTG version 2.10.5 (also tried 2.9.29), I
have an external script that outputs the data that I want in a temporary
file. This is the amount of calls received in the last 5 minutes. So
each time the value is reset to 0 when reading basically. I use the
config file below. What happens is that I feel the absolute option is
not used at all, I have tried every combination of the gauge, absolute
options. I think I need absolute but this does not work. The outcome is
the difference between the previous measured value and the current value
and that per minute. So if the previous value was 10 and the current is
10 it says 2 per minute (20 - 10 is 10 over 5 min is 2 per/min while it
should be 4) Can anyone help me in the right direction here? Thanx a
lot.

options[_]: absolute,growright,noinfo,avgpeak,integer,perminute

Title[wap.call.nl]:          WAP: Amount of call per minute
Target[wap.call.nl]:         `cat /tmp/mrtg/wap.calls.mrtg`
MaxBytes[wap.call.nl]:       120
AbsMax[wap.call.nl]:         120
PNGTitle[wap.call.nl]:       Calls per minute on WAP

Leander Mutsaers
+31 10 4799 814
leander.mutsaers at dac-planet.nl

- Artificial intelligence is no match for human stupidity
- TEAM WORK - means never having to take all the blame yourself.
- Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
- If brute force doesn't work, you ain't using enough