[mrtg] New (free) SNMP agent for Windows 2000/XP/2003

Garth K. Williams garth.williams at wtcs.org
Thu Nov 27 12:11:55 MET 2003

Good morning all.  A slightly off-post message, but very pertinent (I think)
to MRTG users.  I hope you don't mind.

It is intended for those MRTG-folk who are looking to monitor Windows
systems, or already use the SNMP4W2K-STD SNMP agent to monitor their Windows
equipment.

I have received MANY emails asking if I have a plan to support Windows 2003.
Well, I wanted to let you know that WTCS.ORG has just released a new SNMP
extension agent for Windows 2003, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.  Interested?
Read on.

The new agent is called SNMP2CA, which means SNMP Performance Counter Agent.
The 2 is actually superscript, as in P squared (you can't see it because I
post I plain -text).  OK, so enough of the name.

SNMP2CA is a radical change from the performance counter agents WTCS has
provided to date.  It:
- Uses it's own extension DLL (No more obselete perfmib.dll from Microsoft)!
- Is faster than SNMP4W2K (no initial timeout)
- Fully supports multiple CPUs (about ^%$# Time!)
- Fully support Logical Disks (no more OID guesswork)!
- Fully supports Network Interface objects (again)
- Maps OIDs to the WTCS Private Enterprise tree (9600).  No more Microsoft
links!
- Is fully supported by WTCS!!  Try getting THAT out of Microsoft.
- comes with SNMP SMIv1 and SMIv2 MIBs!

Seriously, it is the result of a LOT work (look what time this email was
sent!).  The SNMP2CA-Std version is available FOR FREE to end-users.  It has
a complete install program, co-exists with SNMP4W2K, and will allow you to
do away with those "stupid $%#! OIDs changed aGAIN!" problems.  I've seen a
few posts about that recently!

You should note that this is the free Standard version, and as such supports
onlt the "Core-Four" counters (Processor, Memory, Network and Disk).  We
threw in Object/Thread and Object Processes too, since we're such nice guys!
The Advanced and Plus-Pack versions will be out soon!

Anyway, I don't want to blab too much here.  Please check out my web at
http://www.snmp4tpc.com (the link is an a small pop-up I created, as well as
on the main page), read up about and download SNMP2CA-STD!  Try it out!  Let
me know what you think!  I would ask (since it IS a version 1.0 release)
that when you download the software, you put in your (real) email address in
the download qualifier.  I promise I will NEVER give ANY wmail addresses
away.  That way, I can contact you with any updates that my be requried.  I
will be putting a survey post on my web to solicit feedback on this new
product.

I should mention that the SNMP2CA Page is in a major state of flux.  I
REALLY wanted to announce this (OK, I feel like a new father!), so I did not
wait until the page was done.  I have a lot to do.  Please feel free to
volunteer your suggestions!

Thank you for your attention, and I hope you will forgive me for the
off-topic post.

Garth K. Williams
SNMP for the Public Community ( www.snmp4tpc.com)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned, and is determined to be Virus Free.