[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Netscreen Firewalls

James Overbeck grendel at gmo.jp
Fri Oct 10 18:01:18 MEST 2003

Eric,
	You can graph CPU, sessions, and memory, but trying to graph bandwidth
for the gigabit interfaces is a dead end, even if you use rrdtool or
hack MRTG and use short intervals. ifInOctets is ok, you can graph that,
but ifOutOctets is a dead loss. Seems to jump all over the place even at
low usage hours. You're better off graphing the connected router or switch.
	We recently upgraded ours from 3.1.0 to 4.0.x so I haven't updated the
per-vsys parts yet. I'll attach a host template with the cpu, memory,
and total session bits that can be used with cfgmaker's --host-template
option. You can get MIBs off NetScreen's homepage last time I looked.
-james

Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone is monitoring Netscreen firewalls with
> MRTG. I have a cluster of NS500's and a couple other smaller
> devices, and would like to be able to track connections and
> network traffic going through them. I searched quite a bit
> yesterday on various terms but nothing came back that proved
> fruitful.
>
> Also, if I do an snmpwalk of the device, I get back most of the
> things I'd expect from a device, but items like cpu and memory
> aren't included. Do I need the MIB's for the devices? If so, how
> do they work with MRTG?
>
> Thank you.
>
> - Eric
>
> --