[mrtg] SNMP - No Response Received

Butch Kemper kemper at tstar.net
Fri Oct 17 01:09:25 MEST 2003

I recently upgraded to MRTG 2.10.5 from 2.8.12 hoping to fix a problem of
SNMP "no response received" error messages.  Unfortunately, the problem has
gotten worse.

I am monitoring a NetGear FSM726S switch and the Linux box running MRTG is
connected to one of the ports.  The monitor interval is 5 minutes and about
60% of the time, the switch will return the SNMP data but other times it
does not and MRTG reports a "no response received" error message. Sometimes
MRTG will report the error for several consecutive intervals and then there
are no error messages for several consecutive intervals.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I added this command to the configuration
file:

         SnmpOptions: retries => 3, timeout => 3

In the error messages receive from MRTG, it appears that these options are
being ignored:

         SNMP Error:
         no response received
         SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "********************"
          [***.***.***.***].161)
                   community: "********"
                  request ID: -1146335597
                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                     timeout: 2s
                     retries: 5
                     backoff: 1)
         at /usr/local/mrtg/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 486
         SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.1 on *****@********::::::v4only
         at bin/mrtg line 1794

The SNMP no response received error messages periodically occur with other
devices that are being monitored but the problem is significantly worse
with the NetGear Switch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Butch

TSTAR Internet, Inc         | Making the Net Work
Marble Falls, TX            | Serving Blanco, Burnet,
830-693-6967                | Llano, and Mason Counties