[mrtg] Re: 32 bit counters wrapping, trying to use 64 bit counters

Fruitman, Corey Corey.Fruitman at allstream.com
Tue Oct 21 20:36:45 MEST 2003

A lot of routers support SNMPv2c, but not ifHCIn/OutOctets.  Sometimes only specific interfaces lack large counter support while other interfaces are have it on the same device.  A bit confusing, for sure :)

Some of the routers we have here support SNMPv2c, but only large counters on the ATM interfaces -- not on the Serial interfaces because the bandwidth is too low to have a wrapping problem.  To make matters worse, some devices (IOS-dependent maybe?) return 0 to indicate that they don't support large counters, while other return nulls.

The bottom line is this:  If you can't walk ifHCIn/OutOctets, your device doesn't support it -- so MRTG can't use it to poll.

Hope that helps,
Corey.