[mrtg] Re: Getting IP address

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Oct 31 13:46:51 MET 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 05:50, Adell Querol, Christian wrote:
> Yes, I have been looking the cfgmaker documentation and I know the
> possibility of get the IP address by cfgmaker, but my two questions refer to
> the operation with manual configuration with target's OIDs.

After fiddling with manual configuration for about 5 years, I've come to
the realization that the best thing is to make a template and run
cfgmaker against the template.
> For example, I want to get data from OID X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X, but this data is
> not a number but is a text.

But mrtg doesn't graph text.  So, we have to assume that you are going
to turn this text into some sort of number.  You can use the new
ConversionCode feature in mrtg 2.10 to write a perl subroutine that will
convert the text into a number that can be graphed.

> Another example, the OID Y.Y.Y.Y.Y.Y.Y.Y
> contains the duplex mode, but how can I specify the port which I want to
> monitor?
There is a large section of the mrtg manual devoted to this.  The
easiest way, though, is to write a template.  Something like:
# Example
if (not $problem_lines) {
$target_lines .= <<TONSOSNOT
Target[$target_name]: y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y.y$if_ref
	&y.y.y.y.y.y.y.z$if_reg:$router_connect
routers.cgi*ShortDesc[$target_name]: $html_if_snmp_name -
	$html_if_snmp_alias
bb*host[$target_name]: $router_name
Directory[$target_name]: $directory_name
MaxBytes[$target_name]: 2
Options[$target_name]: guage
LegendI[$target_name]: duplex
LegendO[$target_name]: something else
WithPeak[$target_name]: wmy
Title[$target_name]: $html_if_snmp_name - $html_if_snmp_alias
PageTop[$target_name]: <H1>$html_if_snmp_alias - Why ask Why? </H1>
TONSOSNOT

Be careful not to let any lines wrap - that will drive mrtg batty....

if you called this file "yy.template" you could then run:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker --if-template=yy.template
--if-filter=(not $if_is_ciscovlan and not defined($if_vlanid))
--ifref=name --output=myrouter.yy.cfg
my_obscure_community at myswitch.mydomain.tld:::::2

That if-filter would identify just trunk ports.  Much more elaborate
filters can be written, but that gives you an idea...

--
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>
Austin Energy