[mrtg] Need to monitor VLAN traffic

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Wed Sep 3 21:05:30 MEST 2003

Hi folks. I'm using mrtg-2.9.29 with RRDTool 1.0.45 and routers.cgi
v2.11 as the front-end. I have several customers in a datacenter that
are setup on separate VLANs on a Cisco 6506 with MSFC2. I'm going to
need to display their traffic graphs in separate areas that only they
can access. Routers.cgi will do this for me, but the problem is that the
VLANs don't seem to be showing the right traffic.

I've googled a fair amount and searched the list archives, although I
have not been able to find much about this issue. It appears as though
the first packet is switched in software and then the rest of the
traffic is hardware based, and therefore not available for counting via
SNMP. Does this sound correct?

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to accurately graph this data.
I'm thinking that flowscan might work for me here, although I had not
planned to set that up just yet. Is there any way to get this with MRTG?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)