[mrtg] Re: Periodic config rebuilds

Woodcock, Bradford Bradford.Woodcock at Level3.com
Wed Sep 10 15:36:18 MEST 2003

Hi Dan,

As you say, I think you are trying too hard ;). I've used a couple of
the techniques you talk about here. I had modified cfgmaker to do a
bunch of things inside it because it already had the info. But you then
loose ongoing new features of cfgmaker development (or edit every new
version).

I had also put together a master script to call cfgmaker for all devices
and build up the master "Include" configs for the mrtg production run. I
think it is probably good enough to just use system (or backtick
operator) to call it and throw the output where you need it (then build
master Include configs). As often as we need to execute cfgmaker this
would seem ok (daily per device at most).

And now at this point I do not use cfgmaker at all. I have my own perl
script which goes off and gets lots of stuff...and while it's at it
build the mrtg devices config and master run configs. There are
pro's/con's to this. On the pro side I build exactly what I need for
other aspects of infraMon to operate. On the con side the infraMon mrtg
implementation may be a bit rigid to some needs and it also does not
take advantage of new cfgmaker features.

Cheers,
Woody...

http://www.inframon.org - infraMon: Network Infrastructure Monitor
http://www.micro-mess.com/forum/ - infraMon Questions/Discussions