[mrtg] Re: MRTG: value without division per time interval (no gauge)

Pete Templin pete.templin at texlink.com
Fri Sep 12 14:56:20 MEST 2003

Warning, several folks on this list will rapidly flame you, and tell you that the gauge and/or absolute options are "clearly" the right solution for your problem.  They're wrong.

What I've had to do (aside from recovering from the unwarranted flame burns) is unfortunately multiply the target by 300 and leave both options off.  This loses the exactness of doing it the right way, as there's no guarantee that the poll interval is exactly 300 seconds on this target.  It also screws up horribly if a poll (or more) is missed, but oh well.

What's needed is an option ("events"?) that calculates the difference between the previous poll and the current poll, and simply displays that.  Default calculates the difference and divides by the interval.  Gauge shows the current poll and doesn't divide by the interval.  Absolute shows the current poll divided by the interval.  "Newoption" would calculate the difference but not divide by the interval.

Pete Templin
Senior Staff Engineer
TexLink Communications
(210) 892-4183