[mrtg] Re: Integer vs. Bytes

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Sep 14 10:51:51 MEST 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 05:55:08PM -0500, Tim Sheets wrote:

> What affect does using (or not using) 'Options: bits' have on things
> such as ifInErrors?

You are showing bits (bytes) per second.

> If the numbers collected are presented in Bytes by default, and using
> the option 'bits' scales and presents them in (bytes * 8), wouldn't the
> same thing be true for other OID's?

Yes.

> In other words, should one use 'Options: bits' when collecting errors
> and such?

It'd look a bit strange but it is valid.
Receiving 504 bits and getting 8 errored bits.

> I use 'Options: bits' as a standard, so never really thought about it.

Maybe you should.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't use this as a standard,
it just means you should think about it.

HTH
Alex
--
http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=alex+van+den+bogaerdt&type=1