[mrtg] Re: Somix templates and how to properly use them

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Mon Sep 22 17:31:42 MEST 2003

> Maybe I confused the issue by saying 'not intended to be called from
> MRTG', what I really meant was 'not intended to be called from cfgmaker
> using the --if-template or --host-template' options'. With that said, I
> have not tried this, so I may be wrong about this as well. However,
> since the MRTG cfgmaker reference states 'The file is supposed to
> contain Perl code to be executed to generate the lines for the target in
> the configuration file.', I'm going to assume that the somix templates
> will not work this way, until proven otherwise.
>
> Is there anyone with additional input? Can these templates (which are
> really just config files) be called via the --if/host-template options
> in cfgmaker?

I couldn't use the somix templates with --if-template or --host-template

> I've never been able to get the Somix templates to work - but
> I thought I was just missing something stupid, but cfgmaker
> templates aren't that complicated, so I took some of the OIDs
> and built my own templates with help from the template-howto
> section of the cfgmaker docs.
> It's quite easy after you've done a couple of them, just time
> consuming to get all the different fields (ylegend, shortlegend,
> etc) correct.
>
> If you want something to go from, take a look at the templates
> that I've put at http://mrtg.gvolk.com (there are links on the
> right side pane).

I used the same approach as above.

[ Incidently if you follow the examples at the site above it may be out of
date as far as CPU usage monitoring. Cisco seemed to change the MIB where
one could monitor the CPU usage after a particular revision of IOS 12.x.
There is a document on the cisco web site with the title "How to Collect CPU
Utilization on Cisco IOS Devices Using SNMP" that talks about it. So you may
want to check this out. I don't know if any of the other somix templates
would be out of date or need changes depending on the revision of OS. So
check vendors docs before using the OIDs suggested there. ]

Jim