[mrtg] Re: MRTG questions concerning mrtg.cfg

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Sep 25 22:14:28 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 11:28, Dennis_Asberry at kcmo.org wrote:

> I have been running mrtg from a typical scope of a WAN device to all of its
> connections, and the config file was rather easy to build. However I now
> need to add other sites that are not connected directly through this same
> device. My question is this: Do you re-run the PERL cfgmaker command to add
> these additional sites?

Yes.

> if so, How does the config file get updated after
> running to reflect the HTML information for the page?

Yes.

> Lastly, if possible can someone provide a copy of a multi-device config
> much like what I am attempting to perform, with a little blurbage to help
> me understand its structure?

My strategy is to run cfgmaker for every box seperately, so I'll have a
pile of little files called routera.cfg, routerb.cfg, ...
Then I will create a master file -  mrtg.cfg -  with the lines:
Include: /var/mrtg/routera.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/routerb.cfg
Include: /var/mrtg/routerc.cfg

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX