[mrtg] RRD Config

Jeff Cook Jeff.Cook at wecu.com
Thu Apr 1 19:38:48 MEST 2004

I have been running MRTG for awhile now and it is working very well for me.
I currently have the config file being written from a database on the fly.
This means that every time MRTG runs it gets a new config file.  It also
means that all we need to do is make a change in the database and MRTG will
do what ever it needs to do.

I am looking to change to RRD with MRTG for the collection.  If I do this I
would like to change RRD to store minutely not every 5 minutes.  I think I
know how to change a RRD file to be able to have that many storage points.

So here is my question.  Is there anyway to have a config file that MRTG/RRD
will use to create the new RRD files?  I would want the RRD files to be
created by MRTG with the right settings to begin with.  I don't think it
would be good for me to have the MRTG config change automatically and then
have to remember to reconfigure the RRD file after each database change.
50% of the time I don't know when a change is made that would cause a new
RRD file to be made.

Any Ideas would be very helpful.

Thank You

Jeff Cook