[mrtg] Re: RRD Config

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Apr 1 20:23:24 MEST 2004

>>> "Jeff Cook" <Jeff.Cook at wecu.com> 04/01/04 12:38PM >>>
>I am looking to change to RRD with MRTG for the collection.  If I do this I
>would like to change RRD to store minutely not every 5 minutes.  I think I
>know how to change a RRD file to be able to have that many storage points.
>
>So here is my question.  Is there anyway to have a config file that MRTG/RRD
>will use to create the new RRD files?  I would want the RRD files to be
>created by MRTG with the right settings to begin with.  I don't think it
>would be good for me to have the MRTG config change automatically and then
>have to remember to reconfigure the RRD file after each database change.
>50% of the time I don't know when a change is made that would cause a new
>RRD file to be made.

It is quite easily accomplished.

How long do you want to store the minute data for?  1 day, 1 month, 1 year?
We do this for a 5 minute interval for 1 year, and have modified cfgmaker to
accomplish it.  If you use cfgmaker, just add another RRA for 1 minute
intervals and define the number of samples you'd like (1 day would be 1,440 samples).

Our rrd files grew from about 94k to just over 3mb for 5 minute sample expansion.
I would venture a guess that 1 years' worth of 1 minute samples would be about
15mb per rrd.

Paul