[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Nejaa Halcyon nejaa at racc2000.com
Tue Apr 6 14:39:24 MEST 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:39:05 -0700 (PDT), Admin-Stress
<meerkapot at yahoo.com> wrote:

> (1) Do I need to install SNMP to use MRTG ? is it a MUST ? I want to use
> MRTG to monitor network
> traffic and cpu load in particularly.

A few words on SNMP:

SNMP is not a program, a utility, a server, or anything of the sort. SNMP
is a communication protocol, like TCP, ICMP, FTP, UDP, SMTP and more. SNMP
is the communication protocol that MRTG uses to communicate with the
device(s) that it is monitoring. Therefore, SNMP is absolutely critical
for MRTG to be of any use to anyone.

To ask if SNMP is needed to use MRTG is akin to asking if TCP is needed to
browse the Internet.

Hope that sheds some light on your question,
Nejaa

--
"Hackers and academics have uncovered one Windows security hole after
another, turning Microsoft into a frantic little Dutch boy at the dike