[mrtg] Question on how rateup program and perl routines in MRTG tie toge ther

Jyotin Basrur jbasrur at axiowave.com
Wed Apr 7 16:40:09 MEST 2004

I need to modify/add to some of the features of MRTG. I am trying to
understand how MRTG code works.
Here is what I am headed for:
I am assuming that MRTG simply takes the old and new values of the OID
and subtracts it amd figures out what the rate is based on the polling
interval.
If the value is a constant it will display a zero because there is no change
in the value...essentially it plots a rate
rather than a value. I need to make it plot a value as opposed to a rate.

Can someone explain to me how MRTG works so I can modify?
After a bit of browsing the files I figured that the perl modules run
SNMPGet to get the values of the OIDs and writes to a log file.
Rateup.c converts this into a rate and into images that can be displayed.
Where is the code that calls the perl routines and then executes rateup
program?
How does all of this tie together?

Thanks in advance.
Jyotin