[mrtg] Re: Graph per 30 seconds.

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Apr 20 23:00:52 MEST 2004

>>> "James Liakos" <James.Liakos at chubb.com.au> 04/20/04 04:38PM >>>
>Hi.
>
>I have a business case to graph my links per 30 seconds.

Ok, looks like a job for RRDtool.

>Anybody know how to do this ?

Most of us can, but it is not possible with MRTG.

>I tried to run MRTG every 30 seconds but that I think was happening was
>that MRTG would look at my octets now and 30 seconds ago and then divide
>/300 (5mins).

That's not exactly what happens.  MRTG takes a sample, then 30 seconds
later it takes another sample.  And so on.  Doesn't do much until it gets to
the five minute mark, then does its magic.

>Tried to get a better understanding of the 'perminute'  option but no
>luck.

Perminute just averages your connections per minute instead of per five minutes.

>If I do use the perminute option can I then run this program every
>minute and my graphs 'should' reflect what is really happening...

Not with MRTG.  Use RRDtool.

>Thanks.
>

> James Liakos
>
> WAN Developer
> Cambridge Business Park
> Building A Level 2
> 28 Cambridge Street
> EPPING  NSW  2121 Australia
> Mobile +61 (0)401 777 110
> Phone +61 (0)2 9581 6225
> Fax +61 (0)2 9581 6223
> Mail james{at}chubb{dot}net{dot}au
> Epage 0401777110{at}optusmobile{dot}com{dot}au
>
> Chubb Security Holdings Australia Ltd
> ABN: 1300 359 0921

Paul