[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Windows 2000 CPU Usage (Somix Template)

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Tue Apr 27 15:22:18 MEST 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, William Owen wrote:

> I use method #2 and could show you the script if you are interested.  One
> note about WMI.  You need to be an authenticated user on the Win * box to
> check WMI.  If you are polling from a Linux box, I'm not sure how well that
> will play.

I've seen a Somix Template "Memory Available using Perfmon Agent", since
the servers are already running the Perfmon Agent this might be ideal.
Does the Perfmon agent suffer from the same problems? I've certainly not
seen CPUs renamed in Perfmon log files or through the performance
monitoring API available in pdh.dll.

> Also, CPU usage on Win * boxes produce a snapshot in time as apposed to an
> avereage.  If you poll every 5 mins, you are missing 99.9% of the real data.
> Just to let you know that it is not necessarily going to be an accurate
> representation of usage.

That's okay, I'm not looking for anything too acurate, just the general
trends over longer periods.

James

--
"You're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
http://jamesd.ukgeeks.co.uk/