[mrtg] Question about logfiles

Brandon Shiers brandons at wyoming.com
Fri Apr 30 18:21:20 MEST 2004

Folks --

Thanks for creating such a great product!!!!  I work for an ISP and
we're looking at starting to do some intense monitoring with MRTG (no
RRdtool yet).

I had a quick question about the logfiles.  I have a script on my box
called backbone.  I'm wondering about the file named backbone.log.
 From what I see, it looks like the data collected from polling,
however I can't make heads or tails of the data.  I'd like to use this
plaintext data to be able to pull that file into excel, etc and
manipulate the data for reporting purposes.

Am I making a correct assumption here, or am I way off base?  Would
RRdtool make my life eaiser for this?  Has anybody tried doing what I
am wanting to, and if so how did it work out for you?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon