[mrtg] Re: Question about logfiles

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Fri Apr 30 18:32:49 MEST 2004

> Thanks for creating such a great product!!!!  I work for an ISP and
> we're looking at starting to do some intense monitoring with MRTG (no
> RRdtool yet).

[snip]

> Am I making a correct assumption here, or am I way off base?  Would
> RRdtool make my life eaiser for this?  Has anybody tried doing what I
> am wanting to, and if so how did it work out for you?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Brandon

IMHO, RRDTool would definitely make your life easier. It's generally
considered easy to upgrade, as the first time you run RRDTool with MRTG
it will automagically update the .rrd files with the data from your
existing logfiles.

I use MRTG/RRDTool with the routers2.cgi front-end for web page/graph
generation. Routers2.cgi also has the ability to export your rrd data to
an excel file built right in. If interested, you can locate Routers2.cgi
at http://www.steveshipway.org/software/. There is also a separate
mailing list should you have any questions during/after installation.

There may be an 'easier' way to do what you want without using RRDTool
and Routers2.cgi. If so, I'm sure someone else will post about it.
However, I would definitely recommend a move to RRDTool, as you become
more familiar with MRTG you'll find it has many benefits.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)