[mrtg] Re: max interface speed

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Aug 24 06:14:06 MEST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Ripul Handa wrote:

> I have recently installed mrtg V2.10.15 for windows to monitor the
> link utilization on my cisco 2621. It got installed and I can see the
> traffic graphs. I want to know why is it showing the maximum speed of
> my serial interfaces as 193 kBytes/s when I have 2 T1 circuits in load
> sharing on this router.

The counters are per physical interface.  You will have to create a
target that sums the two interfaces if you want to graph the aggregate.

Note also that 193 kBytes is the same as 1544 kbits, the physical speed
of a single T-1.  (One could argue 192 kBytes and 1536 kbits usable...)

In load-sharing situations it is often desirable to also monitor the
individual physical links as it makes spotting failures or unequal load
sharing situations easier.

In the MRTG documentation, under configuration reference, search for
"Multi Target Syntax" for the proper way to create a target that sums
the bandwidth of both of your serial links.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/