[mrtg] Re: SNMP and Cisco ... Oh the Fun a newbie can have.

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Tue Aug 31 23:21:37 MEST 2004

Moses Hernandez wrote:

> Interestingly enough when i do a show port 3/1 (this is the CatIOS Side,
> Hybrid Mode) i do not see any counters that would reflect that. show
> spantree 3/1 shows forwarding in all of the vlans but the graph at the
> momment display about
>
> Max In  8753.5 kb/s (0.1%)   Average In  3592.3 kb/s (0.0%)   Current
> In  4237.3 kb/s (0.1%)
> Max Out  1520.6 kb/s (0.0%)   Average Out  1205.6 kb/s (0.0%)   Current
> Out  1207.2 kb/s (0.0%)
>

> is that correct? I mean seems awfully low so what i did was telneted to
> the other side and looked at the gigabit uplink. This is what i see for
> 5 minutes
>
> 5 minute input rate 1238000 bits/sec, 933 packets/sec
>  5 minute output rate 3966000 bits/sec, 978 packets/sec

These two readings appear to be confirming each other.  1,238,000
bits/sec in from 1,205 kilobits/sec out of the other end.

Likewise, 3,966,000 bits/sec output to 4,237 kilobits/sec input.

These numbers are close enough to convince me that the traffic MRTG is
reporting is legit.

As for everyone else talking about MLS, that only applies when
monitoring VLANS I thought.  Here he's monitoring layer 2, not layer 3,
and thus it should be accurate for every octet that passes the port.

I could be wrong...

Eric Brander