[mrtg] graph-drawing performance

Stuart Kendrick skendric at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 4 20:52:06 MET 2004

hi,

i'm monitoring ifInOctets/ifOutOctets on ~120 ethernet switches, with a
total of ~11,000 ethernet ports on them.  my rrdtool data store is about
1.2 Gb now; i've been running for about six months.

when i pull up a Web page for a device, the browser starts drawing the
Web page ...  at a pace which i would subjectively describe as slow but
methodical ... about 4-8 seconds per graph ... but quits after about 50
or so graphs, i.e. after about five minutes or so.

mrtg-2.10.13
rrdtool-1.0.46
apache-1.3.28
suse-9.0

The box is some flavor of Dell, with dual 1.4GHz PIII, 2GB of ram, 5 18GB
Ultra160 SCSI drives in a hardware RAID5.

the box isn't doing anything else significant, other than this
application.

if i wanted apache/mrtg/rrdtool to draw ~240 graphs in less than five
minutes, what kind of hardware would i need to have?  i realize that the
answer is probably "buy the biggest box you can afford and see" ... but my
boss prefers slightly better defined answers than this :)

is anyone running a box which can draw ~240 graphs in less than five
minutes?  and if so, would you be willing to share with me the specs of
the hardware?

--sk

Stuart Kendrick
FHCRC