[mrtg] Re: graph-drawing performance

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Wed Feb 4 21:13:41 MET 2004

> i'm monitoring ifInOctets/ifOutOctets on ~120 ethernet
> switches, with a
> total of ~11,000 ethernet ports on them.  my rrdtool data
> store is about
> 1.2 Gb now; i've been running for about six months.
>
> when i pull up a Web page for a device, the browser starts drawing the
> Web page ...  at a pace which i would subjectively describe
> as slow but
> methodical ... about 4-8 seconds per graph ... but quits
> after about 50
> or so graphs, i.e. after about five minutes or so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have ~100 ports per
device/web page. If you are attempting to display more than one device
per page, you might want to rethink your setup and break them out. I've
never had to wait longer than a minute to draw an entire page of graphs
for a Cisco 2980, which has 80 ports and several other graphs for ping,
cpu, mem, etc. The same goes for my Cisco 4006 switches, which have a
lot more graphs than 100, still didn't take longer than a minute or so.

[snip]

> The box is some flavor of Dell, with dual 1.4GHz PIII, 2GB of
> ram, 5 18GB
> Ultra160 SCSI drives in a hardware RAID5.
>
> the box isn't doing anything else significant, other than this
> application.
> if i wanted apache/mrtg/rrdtool to draw ~240 graphs in less than five
> minutes, what kind of hardware would i need to have?  i
> realize that the
> answer is probably "buy the biggest box you can afford and
> see" ... but my
> boss prefers slightly better defined answers than this :)
>
> is anyone running a box which can draw ~240 graphs in less than five
> minutes?  and if so, would you be willing to share with me
> the specs of
> the hardware?

I'm currently running on a P4 dual CPU box, but in the past I had the
same configuration setup on a P3 700 with 512K RAM and it ran fine. That
box also ran my Nagios app and was constantly hit with syslog data from
250+ network devices.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that hardware might not be your issue
here. What front end are you using to display the graphs? I can't offer
any insight into anything other than what I use, routers2.cgi, but
perhaps knowing the front-end used to display the graphs someone else
might be able to provide an reason for the slow display.

You might want to check out routers2.cgi and see if it can improve your
display performance at all. Check http://www.steveshipway.org/software/
for the latest version.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)