[mrtg] Re: graph-drawing performance

Stuart Kendrick skendric at fhcrc.org
Wed Feb 4 21:34:11 MET 2004

hi gary,

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have ~100 ports per
> device/web page. If you are attempting to display more than one device
> per page, you might want to rethink your setup and break them out. I've
> never had to wait longer than a minute to draw an entire page of graphs
> for a Cisco 2980, which has 80 ports and several other graphs for ping,
> cpu, mem, etc. The same goes for my Cisco 4006 switches, which have a
> lot more graphs than 100, still didn't take longer than a minute or so.

i'm monitoring Catalyst 4x0xs ... some with 50 ports, some with a 100,
some with 240.

> I'm currently running on a P4 dual CPU box, but in the past I had the
> same configuration setup on a P3 700 with 512K RAM and it ran fine. That
> box also ran my Nagios app and was constantly hit with syslog data from
> 250+ network devices.

ok, so your current hardware is beefier than mine, but your previous
hardware wasn't, and you drew pages with lots of graphs in under a minute
... that's way faster than i'm doing.

> I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that hardware might not be your issue
> here. What front end are you using to display the graphs? I can't offer
> any insight into anything other than what I use, routers2.cgi, but
> perhaps knowing the front-end used to display the graphs someone else
> might be able to provide an reason for the slow display.

mrtg-rrd.cgi.  ahh, ok, i'll checkout routers2.cgi, see if that makes a
difference for me.

> You might want to check out routers2.cgi and see if it can improve your
> display performance at all. Check http://www.steveshipway.org/software/
> for the latest version.

thanx!

--sk