[mrtg] Re: Cisco Gigabit switch Monitoring

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Feb 5 15:59:05 MET 2004

mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to monitor Cisco Gigabit switch for bandwidth,cpu
> utilization and memory utilisation.Would appreciate if anyone
> could provide the templates of the configuration file or any
> url where i can find good documentation.

I've been working to get some templates to do different things, such as
set absmax and SNMP version based on the type of link, add cpu and mem
graphs, etc. However, I feel that I have a long way to go yet, and there
may be someone out there that can provide what you want right now. If
you wish, I'll be happy to provide the templates that I have currently,
you may find them useful.

In the meantime, have you tried just running cfgmaker against the
switch? This should provide the bandwidth graphs that you want right out
of the box. However, with GB links there are a few caveats. For one,
you'll want to make sure that you are polling with SNMP v.2, otherwise
you may end up with counter wraps. Also, if this switch has an MSFC and
is being used for MLS, you may not get the actual bandwidth, as only the
first packet is compared against the cache and then the rest of the
flows are switched in hardware.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)