[mrtg] Re: Monitor of cisco routers

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Feb 5 16:04:21 MET 2004

mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> We have a cisco router behind a cisco pix firewall, and when I run the
> cfgmaker it does not seem to get a response from the router.
>
> I can however get satitsitics on the sam network for another
> server. So
> mrtg installation and computer seems to be fine.
>
> The ip address for the computer is allowed through the firewall to any
> host on the other port  of the firewall.
>
> Any suggestions??

A few things you might want to check:
Does the router have an ACL that perhaps blocks SNMP queries, or limits
them to certain hosts? (If not, it probably should)
Is the SNMP community string set correctly on the router?
While the firewall allows your host IP through, perhaps it is blocking
the SNMP port? (Probably not, since you can monitor your server)

You should definitely check the firewall logs, filter on your host IP if
possible, and see if it is dropping any necessary packets.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)