[mrtg] Community string lookup

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Feb 9 19:04:21 MET 2004

We have a requirement that every box have an individual community
string.  Right now I store the community strings in a database and
generate a script with new configmaker commands.
But, it would be nice to be able to grab the string from the database on
the fly without having to run cfgmaker.  This would have the added
benefit of not placing the community strings in plain text in a text
file.

Has anyone attempted such a beast before?  If I were to devise a way to
do it, would anyone else want it?  Can anyone fathom a syntax that could
be used to signify a "dynamic" string instead of a "static" string?

I imagine it will be pretty simple to just intercept the string in the
target parsing section and do a few DB calls...  But I'd hate to
re-invent the wheel.

--
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>
Austin Energy