[mrtg] Utilization graph uncertainty

Soden, David dsoden at cov.com
Wed Feb 11 21:58:24 MET 2004

I am using MRTG-2.9.7 to monitor the outside virtual serial interface of
my Internet router.  As the screen shot below shows, there was an
out-going spike that should have pretty much maxed out the link at 98.7%
but I also see at least a 50% in-coming load also at the same time.  In
the past, I have been "assuming" that if you add the current out and the
current in... you should get the total utilization on the interface
being monitored.  Am I correct in "assuming" this and if so, this logic
would then tell me that I had approximately 300 kBytes on that interface
at around 1 PM yesterday.  Basically that doesn't add up correctly since
it's physically a T1 interface.  I apologize for the simplicity of this
question but I just wanted to make sure I am reading this info
correctly.  I understand that I am a bit behind MRTG version wise so
maybe that might be a possible explanation.  If you think this is the
case, I can easily upgrade it but again, I was just concerned that I was
reading this info incorrectly.

Thank you for your time.

David Soden
Covington & Burling

Screenshot below:=20
 <<Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)>>=20

-- Type: image/bmp
-- Desc: Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)
-- Size: 91k (93990 bytes)