[mrtg] Re: Utilization on Tunnel interfaces on Cisco devices

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Feb 12 18:58:00 MET 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Bigelow, Andrea L. wrote:

> I'm using SNMP2 to monitor a network of Cisco devices, and on every Cisco
> device I'm monitoring,  I'm unable to get utilization graphs for any of the
> Tunnel(X) interfaces. Is there a specific OID I need to use for these?

They work fine for me and are detected automatically by MRTG.  See if they
may be detected but commented out in the mrtg.cfg for some reason.  MRTG
will usually pick up all interfaces and comment out with reason those that
the script determines should not be displayed.

Also note that Cisco sets the default bandwidth of tunnels to 9 kbits/s
which MRTG will pick up and set as the maximum speed.  So change the
router config to put something reasonable there or the graphs will generate
but not be very interesting.   :-)

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/