[mrtg] Re: Threshold monitoring

William Owen William.Owen at ProfilesInternational.com
Thu Feb 12 21:30:08 MET 2004

Seeking clarity:

If I understand this, you need to write a script that pulls the current and
previous values from your log file (rrd would be fairly easy to do),
calculate the % change in value (number between 100% and -100%) and set a
threshold that checks the absolute value of the change so that if it is say
10% up or down, you get notified.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith McCallion [mailto:keith at mccallion.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 2:09 PM
To: Kerry Werry
Cc: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Threshold monitoring

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Kerry Werry wrote:

> This should be possible with the basic threshold options. You have min
> and max threshold options, so set both for one interface say a max of
> 70% and a min of 10% and you will bet alarms when you go above the max
> 9and back below it) and below the min (and back above it)... I think
> that does what you want???

Not quite.

What I want to catch is variance. So if the utilization has dropped 10%
since the last time MRTG ran, it would run a program like Threshold
monitoring does. Ideally, I'd set this to something like 5%,10%,15% for a
5% drop/spike in one period, 10% drop/spike in 3 periods, 15% drop/spike
in 6 periods.

If I monitor for 10%, I may get alerts in the middle of the night when I'm
ok with traffic being low, but not catch large drops in traffic (75% ->
40%) during peak.

My traffic flow is pretty predictable and slowly ramps up and down, so we
can do this visually, but I'd really like to automate this. We cannot
visually monitor 10,000 different graphs.

Keith