[mrtg] Monitoring traffic on modem cable behind DOCSIS and Terayon Gateway

Frédéric Martin frederic.martin at smart-telecom.ch
Fri Feb 13 10:32:51 MET 2004

Hi,

I'm actually using mrtg to monitor the traffic and the bandwidth usage for
some machines which have fix ip adresses. (especially DSL clients).
Now I would like to monitor the same kind of things for our cable clients
who are behind DOCSIS and Terayon Gateway. The problem is that they didn't
have a fix ip address. So the only way (I think?) to monitor them directly
is by using the Mac address of their cable modem.
Is there a tool using MRTG (a contrib?) to do such thing or can MRTG get the
informations I need (so the traffic per modem) by polling the DOCSIS /
Terrayon directly. (Is their an OID for that?)

I found on the net that it seems possible to monitor Terayon with snmp. But
how can I get infos per modem???
Thanks in advance for your tips!

Frédéric MARTIN
trainee NOC