[mrtg] Re: Permissions?

David Ziemba dziemba at ColoradoCollege.edu
Tue Feb 24 03:03:46 MET 2004

> # please place quoted message before your reply > especially M$ users

Thanks, sorry if I offended you by my inability to properly form replies.
I'm also sorry to hear about your dislike for "M$" product.

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:35:29 -0700, "David Ziemba" wrote in
> <E49083FFAA8A0C40B2384556591CD8D40CB28A at exchange-c.coloradocollege.
> edu>:

> > > I'm not FreeBSD user, but it sounds like packet filtering problem:
> >
> > I don't think the filter would be the case with a default
> install of
> > FreeBSD 5.
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I never seen this kind of error except
> 2 occasions:
>
> a) non-privileged(non-root) user trying to bind privileged
> port (<1024)

...but remember, we are requesting the data from the remote server port
<1024, not sending it out on.  Local non-root users have no problem with
creating the higher-than ports to receive the requested data.

> b) some kind of packet filter reject(or denied) the packet

True, although, FreeBSD 5 does not have any packet filter on after booting
a default installation.  When she said 'default', well, that was my
keyword anyway...

> > What versions are you using of perl, png, jpeg, freetype, and gd are
> > you using?
> Ah... are you suggesting that it caused by some
> 'missing/out-of-date  applications'?
> wow, I'm just curious about it.

While troubleshooting a problem, it pays to have all of the information
about a problem to postulate a theory, and further, a solution.  These
programs are all dependencies of mrtg on a FreeBSD system, therefore, that
information will certainly help.  There is not an easy way, without using
checkout, to discern if any updates or patches are available for
compilation.

> Regards,
> Takumi Yamane <yamtak at b-session.com>

Take it easy,