[mrtg] Re: Permissions?

Takumi Yamane yamtak at b-session.com
Tue Feb 24 11:01:26 MET 2004

Hi,

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:03:46 -0700, "David Ziemba" wrote
in <E49083FFAA8A0C40B2384556591CD8D40CB28D at exchange-c.coloradocollege.
edu>:

> ...but remember, we are requesting the data from the remote server
> port <1024, not sending it out on.

Thanks, of course I know that. I just listed the plausible cause.

Would you please carefully review this line from first post:

You can see that 1) (s)he has root privileges, and 2) a word 'dmz'
in hostname implies the host has some kind of packet filter.

> While troubleshooting a problem, it pays to have all of the
> information about a problem to postulate a theory, and further,
>  a solution.

I agree with you on this.
What I just don't understand(or like :) was that you just removed
the possiblity of packet filter from your 'all of the information'
list in the first place.

> Thanks, sorry if I offended you by my inability to properly form
> replies.

Yeah, I believe that bad custom started later in '95 when the "M$-IMN",
curretly (well)known as "0ut1ook Express", had outbreaked :p
# I had never seen that strange behavior before that... at least AFAIK

> I'm also sorry to hear about your dislike for "M$" product.

I just don't want to (mis)use their trademarks in my messages without
paid license/written permission. They will claim some money for it :D

Pardon my french ;)
Takumi Yamane <yamtak at b-session.com>

P.S.
  Please send your reply only to my e-mail address on this topic,
  especially bottom half, unless it is necessary.
  I don't want to make others on this list disgusted anymore for almost
  nothing related to MRTG. I'm not clever enough to cease my passion :)