[mrtg] Re: Specifying a range of routers

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Jan 8 20:27:10 MET 2004

Pete,

I just finished (last night) creating a program that I like to call "AutoMRTG", that will do just what you are asking for.

It basically takes input from either a file or command line, creates the config file, parses it (gets rid of all commented out, unwanted interfaces, etc), adds the necessary Toptalker*name and Toptalker*group options to the cfg file (Because we use Paul Williamson and Daniel J McDonald's talker.pl script http://www.geocities.com/paulcwilliamson/mrtg/talker.html , http://www.geocities.com/mrtg_daemon/toptalkers.html ), then adds the Includes for the device config into the main MRTG config, so that you will begin polling the device ASAP.

Also, if you are using RRDTool, then it can handle RRDs. If you have many devices that for some reason or another, fairly regularly change their SNMP index (which occurs in my situation, and it's almost impossible to check thousands of devices to make sure that MRTG is polling the correct interface), it will automatically compare both your configs (old and new) and move the RRDs accordingly. This will prevent you from having to manually go through and create the config, compare the old and new config, and then manually move the RRDs to the proper name of the target.

My next step is to have either a syslog server (or something else) automatically send a trap to the server and kick this process off whenever there is a change in config, newly discovered, or rebooted device, to ensure that the MRTG configs are in tandem with what the SNMP settings actually are on the device.

If you're able to hold off until the end of this week, beginning of next week (hopefully not even that long ;-)) Then I can try and get something available for everyone to use.

Let me know if this interests you.

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com

>>> "MRTG Admin" <mrtg-admin at internetconet.net> 01/08/04 01:55PM >>>
Hey all, this is my first post; it's good to be on the list. I have a question regarding some syntax.
I am using cfgmaker to specify about 30 snmp devices, since these devices are assigned in linear ip order can I specify 1.1.1.1 -> 1.1.1.30  with a range command or must i have each individually?

I can generate a list and direct into cfgmaker, i know, but...

-Peter