[mrtg] OT - Workstation Network Speed Test

Alan Rader darlists at bakerd.com
Tue Jan 13 18:36:30 MET 2004

Are there any utilities out there that will tell you what a workstations
actual network connection is?  I know you can turn on the icon and see
if it is 10mb or 100mb, but I also want to know if it is half or full
duplex.  Currently we have most of our equipment using auto both on our
switches and end nodes, but I keep seeing that it can be mis-reported
and that everything should be hard set.  A little more maintenance
involved, but better performance in the long run.

There was an article on this in Network World and it said you could use
utilities like mrtg to verify it, but how would mrtg tell me if a
connection was half or full duplex?
Also I don't really want to map every workstation port on all my
switches.  I would rather have something I could put on the workstation
or run remotely.

Thanks