[mrtg] Re: OT - Workstation Network Speed Test

Don Radick dogslobber2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 20:53:27 MET 2004

Alan Rader <darlists at bakerd.com> wrote:Are there any utilities out
there that will tell you what a workstations
actual network connection is? I know you can turn on the icon and see
if it is 10mb or 100mb, but I also want to know if it is half or full
duplex. Currently we have most of our equipment using auto both on our
switches and end nodes, but I keep seeing that it can be mis-reported
and that everything should be hard set. A little more maintenance
involved, but better performance in the long run.

There was an article on this in Network World and it said you could use
utilities like mrtg to verify it, but how would mrtg tell me if a
connection was half or full duplex?
Also I don't really want to map every workstation port on all my
switches. I would rather have something I could put on the workstation
or run remotely.

Thanks

You will want to look at the switch mib for an oid that shows
ethernet port collisions, late-collisions, CRC errors and
possibly some other errors.

If a end-node is set properly full-duplex to a full-duplex switch
port, there should be no, or very, very small amount of errors.
If duplex is set incorrectly, you'll see many collision errors
on that port.  (of course, if an end-node should be set for
half-duplex, you will see collisions on that port.)

here's a note from the MRTG mail list.
http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg01814.html

you can download the Cisco MIBS from their web site.

HTH,
Don