[mrtg] Re: Inconsistant graphs that seem to disagree with rrd data

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Wed Jan 21 10:47:26 MET 2004

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 04:18:35PM +0000, Jim Mozley wrote:
>

>>            . No changes have been made to the configuration. The only
>>think I can think that was different to the norm was that the interfaces
>>were passing a constant volume of data, rather than the usual varying
>>traffic.
>

> If you mean ___*really*___ constant, this usually is a sign that MRTG
> was unable to read the remote device _and_ that you have no "UnknAsZero"
> option set.
>
> When monitoring resumes, the gap in time is filled with the rate at
> that time, resulting in a somewhat large amount of time having the
> same rate.
>
> This does not explain any of the other problems you describe but I'd
> like to let you know anyway.
>
> HTH
> Alex

Thanks Alex for pointing this out, but the reason it was constant (I
should have said nearly constant) was because a traffic generator was
being used at a constant output. I'm aware of the UnknAsZero option.

I guess the cause will remain unknown; the graph showed around 150 Mb/s
during the network testing on the daily graphs (when it should have been
around 115 Mb/s) and now shows correctly on the weekly graph at around
115 Mb/s.

Thanks again,

Jim