[mrtg] Non readable characters generated by cfgmaker on 3Com 3300 switch [newbie]

Erik Torres Serrano erik at bioinfo.cu
Wed Jul 21 00:02:23 MEST 2004

Hi everybody,

This is my first experience with MRTG and with SNMP. I have a 3Com 3300
switch and I want to have statistics on the bandwidth. I have response
from the switch using both snmpwalk and cfgmaker, but with cfgmaker the
output file have a lot of non readable characters as well as in the
command output. The output file is completely commented because all
interfaces are detected but they have a speed 0 and a lot of non redable
characters, so I can't no use MRTG :(

This is a simplified view of the cfgmaker output:

$ cfgmaker public at 10.0.1.1 > /etc/mrtg.cfg
--base: Get Device Info on public at 10.0.1.1:
--base: Vendor Id: 3com
--base: Populating confcache
--snpo: confcache public at 10.0.1.1: Name Expansion Module Interface
#
# a lot of garbage
#
--snpo: confcache public at 10.0.1.1: Descr SuperStack II Switch L3 Module,
manuf: 3Com,Expansion Module Interface
#
# more garbage
#

Please could any of you give me some clues on what Im missing?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Torres
High Performance Computer Department
National Bioinformatics Center