[mrtg] Re: Network Bandwidth

Bigelow, Andrea L. BigelowA at SEC.GOV
Thu Jun 3 22:06:42 MEST 2004

Deb,

If your boss is looking for DOS attacks, those will be painfully obvious on
MRTG.

In order to determine that something is statistically significant, you need
to define not just a mean (an 'average value'), but also a standard
deviation. Say I've got a link that carries 100K of traffic on average. Is
it normal to see 300K on that link? Sure, if the normal range is 0-400K. If
the normal range is 50-150, then yeah, I'd be raising an eyebrow at 300K,
but not if up to 400K is in my normal range.

What I'm saying is that you need to establish not just what is average, but
what falls within normal ranges. To do that. go back through your archived
information and look at your weekly and monthly averages, and draw a few
data points from that.

I wish I could help you more on this. Every link on every network has
slightly different norm ranges -- some may have a small range and a high
average, others may have a small average and a huge range. The latter is
common if your traffic is 'bursty'. The only way to pin down what is normal
for any given link is to monitor over a period of time (which you've done)
and plot out a series of data points to establish a known range. Once you've
done that, then I believe there is a way to set thresholds. Can someone else
advise?

HTH,

Andi