[mrtg] Re: Network Bandwidth

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Thu Jun 3 22:22:29 MEST 2004

Bigelow, Andrea L. wrote:

> Sure, but you have to know what you're looking for. You can't detect
> anything outside of a "norm" if you don't know what that norm is. Trace the
> bandwidth patterns over a period of time, preferably a month or two at
> least, and that will give you a good baseline, but find out from your boss
> how he defines 'norm'.

I do some similar monitoring not using mrtg but some perl scripts I've
written, the principles are the same though. I work out the average, and
standard deviation of the data for, say, the last 10 days. I then
perform the same calculations for the data from the last hour. If the
average for the smaller period differs from the larger one by more than
two standard deviations I trigger an alert.

I've also set alerts to trigger if the average goes above a certain
limit x, and have tried to extrapolate from some very naive trends if
the average will rise above x in the next n days.

You can go into far more detail, these are only some quick, easy and
basic checks that I perform. You could for example perform a comparison
at 1100hrs of the last hours traffic with that of 1000-1100hrs on
previous days. You could go on and on, deciding upon more things to
measure, compare and check and end up with a huge number of checks.

It would probably best to decide upon what constitutes abnormal
behavior, and how quickly you are supposed to detect it and define it
clearly and precisely before puzzling over how to look for it.

Regards,

James