[mrtg] Re: Network Bandwidth

Roger roger at efn.org
Thu Jun 3 23:34:29 MEST 2004

Around Thu,Jun 03 2004, at 03:26,  Deb.Brackman at crown.com, wrote:
>Can someone advise or help me on the following question from my boss, what
>would be the best way to monitor this?
>"Deb, have you made any progress in detecting bandwidth usage outside a
>norm?"
>
>Can MRTG help me here?

MRTG can display historical data.  When I see something on a T-1 that
looks different (not like the rest), I can click on the detail page for
that interface and see if it looks normal compared to what has happened
the last week or month

snmp combined with a script could probably be setup to look for values
outside of 'normal', but then you would have to determine what is normal.

--
Roger
roger at efn.org
Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do today, because if you enjoy
it today you can do it again tomorrow.