[mrtg] Re: Monitor CRC & Framing Errors

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sat Jun 5 18:45:23 MEST 2004

hdevito at qwest.net wrote:
> Hi,  I wuld like to monitor CRC and Framing errors on the serial
> ports of 1720 routers.  I have 11 1720's and 21 Serial ports (T1's)
> that I need to monitor.  It would be great to just to browse to a
> webpage and check for errors rather than log in to each router.  I
> tried using the CRC template off somix.com.  MRTG creates the graphs
> and looks like it's querying the routers, but no data is displayed.
> Anyone that could help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
> advance.

YMMV, but the DS1 MIB should be available on these units, or at least
something similar.  All of the error counters are available through this
MIB.  Can you see appropriate figures if you poll the router manually?

A few additional notes on this topic: because MRTG might not take the
same amount of time to process its targets on unique runs, your timing
may not end up right at 300 second intervals, and it's next to
impossible to sync up with the 15-minute intervals where DS1 devices
keep these statistics.  As such, I monitor both the current interval and
the previous interval at the default five minute interval, knowing that
a few caveats apply:

1) I will "miss" the last 0-299 seconds in each 15 minute interval, and
capture less than 300 seconds during the beginning of the new 15 minute
interval, on one poll every three.
2) I will capture the errors missed in #1 by polling the previous
interval, but will get the same results for three polls in a row (since
the previous interval becomes the previous previous interval every
fifteen minutes).

I use threshold monitoring to capture moderate and high levels.  I have
a simple script that treats the "Min" and "Max" thresholds as "info" and
"alert" (i.e. the safe zone is below the info and alert levels, NOT in
between the Min and Max levels as the default logic assumes).

Now I just need to develop a way to integrate some of my automated page
generation tools with RRDTool and a companion graph-building CGI, so I
can get the CPU load down on my poor monitoring box...

pt