[mrtg] Re: can't get traffice from sub-interface of router

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Jun 8 16:51:05 MEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:06:36PM +0800, Íõѧ¾ü wrote:
> hello,guys. I have run mrtg2.10 successfully recently. Now it can monitor the
> traffic of ATM aal5 layer, but can't get the value of ATM subinf & gigaethernet's
> subif. the gigaethernet port has been configured as 802.1q trunk.
> Why mrtg can generate the conf of subif,but can't get the data from those subifs?
> plz help me.
> the following is the error msg from MRTG, I have tried to get the data using SNMP
> v4 by the msg but failed...
>
> SNMP Error:
> Received SNMP response with error code
>   error status: noSuchName
>   index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.18)

This is not really MRTG.  MRTG asks for some data, and the device
tells it cannot give it because this OID does not exists

> SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.18 ifOutOctets.18 sysUptime sysName on
> public at 192.168.0.1::::::v4only

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10 == ifInOctets.   ifInOctets.18 means: interface
numbered 18 (the so called instance).

You wrote "Why mrtg can generate the conf of subif,but can't get
           the data from those subifs?"

I took this as "I created the config with cfgmaker".  At that moment
the instance 18 seemed to be valid.

Perhaps the device was booted and instances changed.  There is a way
to configure instances to be persistant (search the documentation for
your device).

In general:  try to debug the problem with command line tools such
as "snmpget" or "snmputil.exe".  If those tools have a problem, don't
even start to think about MRTG.

HTH
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If