[mrtg] Re: Cisco MSFC VLANs

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Wed Jun 9 15:47:32 MEST 2004

Fernando Perez wrote:

> I would guess that this question has been asked before, but has anyone
> successfully monitored the traffic through a Cisco MSFC VLAN Interface on a
> 6500 switch?  If so, can you please tell me how you did it.  I seem to be
> not getting the write amount of traffic going through my MSFCs
>
> Thanks
>
> Fernando Perez

Fernando,

IME, the counters for VLANs on Cisco gear do not work like most would
like or what most would at least expect. It seems that only traffic that
enters or leaves a vlan is tracked there. If communication is intra-vlan
then nothing comes up on those counters.  I too set up VLAN monitoring
on my Cisco boxes and was disturbed to see such a low throughput.

That said, I'm not certain was an MSFC VLAN is so what I've said might
not totally apply.

HTH,

Eric Brander