[mrtg] Re: Customizing rrd database

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 16 22:51:13 MEST 2004

>I am currently using rrd databases with mrtg. How can I modify the
>retention of the data so that when a new interface is polled it
>automatically keeps the 5 minute detail for 3 months?

You need to extend the 5-min (1 sample) RRAs from their existing 400 samples
to (3month/5min) samples.  You will probably need to correspondingly
increase all the other RRAs as well.  Look at the rrdtune manual pages, or
the rrd-extend script shipped with routers2.cgi

If you don't mind deleting your existing .rrd files, you can put the
RRDRowCount[] directive in to tell it to use more rows, and then the rrd
files will be recreated using this rather than the default (used to be 400,
may be 760 now).

Of course, you will then need a frontend capable of displaying this
additional data.  Be prepared for rather large .rrd files, like about 3Mb
each.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes