[mrtg] Re: please help - Re: Re: Monitor CRC & Framing Errors

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Jun 17 17:16:45 MEST 2004

>hdevito at qwest.net wrote:

<snip>

>> I'm running MRTG on a RH9 box and I'm not sure what the MRTG config file
>> should look like to see the amount CRC errors collected by MRTG polling at
>> the times on the graph.  MRTG logs show the right figures but I do not see
>> anything on the graph.  I am polling every 5 minutes, everything is default
>> on MRTG.
>~snip~
>
>Why not just use this?
>
>Target[blah]: ifInErrors.1&ifOutErrors.1:comm at a.b.c.e
>
>The only problem is that it gets ALL the errors, no matter what type.
>But I think it will do what you want. If you're truly trying to track
>how many framing errors vs CRC errors, then maybe you should spend more
>time trying to fix the errors than to chart them. Just my humble opinion
>of course.
>
>Eric Brander

Right, but don't forget that this number (whatever it is) is a rate.  Unless you
have a really bad network connection, I doubt you'll get a meaningful number.
If you have 300 CRC errors in a 5 minute period, you'll only have 1 in the log
file.  Is this what you intend?  Or, do you have links that are far above 300
errors per 5 minute window?

Paul