[mrtg] Re: Backplane Utilization again

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jun 23 23:19:25 MEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 05:03:54PM -0400, Bigelow, Andrea L. wrote:

> > Does the traffic ever reach the backplane?
> >
> > For instance: One port in on a module, other port on same module out?
>
> It does, actually, because the users are all coming into the switch on
> modules 2 and 3 on the ports in question and going on on either 4, 5, or 9;
> in fact, the bulk of the traffic should be 2 or 3 -> 9. I'm dealing with a
> 6509 with two 16-port GBIC 1000 cards, two 10/100 48-port cards, and one
> 10/100/1000 card (module 9). The GBIC 1000's go to the user switches, and
> the other three cards deal with stuff local to the switch in question.

I don't know the specific details of it but I bet you are seeing a
counter that only counts the first frame of a flow.  Once the switch
path is determined, traffic will follow a shortcut and the counter
doesn't know about the rest of the traffic in that flow.

I'm sure there's plenty of info on this subject, just don't ask me
where to find it :)  Perhaps this info is enough for you to do a
search on the cisco site.

HTH and signing off for tonite,
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If